(Redirected from Exertional dyspnea)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Dyspnea, also called air hunger or shortness of breath, is a symptom of ME/CFS.
Prevalence[edit | edit source]
- 1995, Katrina Berne, PhD, reported a prevalence of 30-70% for shortness of breath.
- 2001, In a Belgian study, 79.2% of patients meeting the Fukuda criteria and 83.5% of patients meeting the Holmes criteria, in a cohort of 2073 CFS patients, reported exertional dyspnea.
Symptom recognition[edit | edit source]
- Exertional dyspnea is noted as a symptom of autonomic nervous system manifestations in the Canadian Consensus Criteria and is included in the criteria for diagnosis of CFS.
- It is also included in the criteria for diagnosis in the International Consensus Criteria, under Energy production/transportation impairments.
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
- 2012, Dyspnea in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS): Comparison of Two Prospective Cross-Sectional Studies. - (Full Text)
Possible causes[edit | edit source]
Potential treatments[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Berne, Katrina (Dec 1, 1995), Running on Empty: The Complete Guide to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFIDS), 2nd ed., Hunter House, p. 58, ISBN 978-0897931915
- De Becker, Pascale; McGregor, Neil; De Meirleir, Kenny (December 2001). "A definition‐based analysis of symptoms in a large cohort of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome". Journal of Internal Medicine. 250 (3): 234–240. doi:10.1046/j.1365-2796.2001.00890.x.
- A Clinical Case Definition and Guidelines for Medical Practitioners: An Overview of the Canadian Consensus Document
- Carruthers, BM; van de Sande, MI; De Meirleir, KL; Klimas, NG; Broderick, G; Mitchell, T; Staines, D; Powles, ACP; Speight, N; Vallings, R; Bateman, L; Baumgarten-Austrheim, B; Bell, DS; Carlo-Stella, N; Chia, J; Darragh, A; Jo, D; Lewis, DP; Light, AR; Marshall-Gradisnik, S; Mena, I; Mikovits, JA; Miwa, K; Murovska, M; Pall, ML; Stevens, SR (Aug 22, 2011), "Myalgic encephalomyelitis: International Consensus Criteria", Journal of Internal Medicine, 270 (4): 327–338, doi:10.1111/j.1365-2796.2011.02428.x, PMID 21777306
- Ravindran, Murugan; Adewuyi, Oluwatoyin; Zheng, Yin; Rayhan, Rakib U.; Le, Uyenphuong; Timbol, Christian; Merck, Samantha; Esteitie, Rania; Read, Charles; Baraniuk, James (Dec 12, 2012). "Dyspnea in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS): Comparison of Two Prospective Cross-Sectional Studies". Global Journal of Health Science. 5 (2). doi:10.5539/gjhs.v5n2p94. ISSN 1916-9744.