Allodynia refers to pain caused by what would normally be non-painful stimulation, for example brushing the skin. Temperature change, light touching, and clothing can trigger the pain response resulting in a burning sensation often occurring after an injury to a site.
Presentation[edit | edit source]
There are three types of allodynia. Tactile, where pain is caused by touches such as clothing touching the skin or someone lightly touching the arm; Mechanical, caused by movement across the skin when drying with a towel or sheets brushing against the skin; and Thermal, which is caused by heat or cold that is not extreme enough to cause damage to skin tissues.
Allodynia in ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia[edit | edit source]
Allodynia is not a diagnostic symptom of ME or CFS, and is not even referred to in the International Consensus Criteria Primer for ME although over forms of pain are.
Prevalence[edit | edit source]
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
- 2009, Models and Mechanisms of Hyperalgesia and Allodynia(Full text)
- 2010, A cross-sectional survey of 3035 patients with fibromyalgia: subgroups of patients with typical comorbidities and sensory symptom profiles(Full text)
Possible causes[edit | edit source]
Potential treatments[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Sandkühler, Jürgen (Apr 2009). "Models and Mechanisms of Hyperalgesia and Allodynia". Physiological Reviews. 89 (2): 707–758. doi:10.1152/physrev.00025.2008. ISSN 0031-9333.
- Dellwo, Adrienne (Nov 20, 2019). "When a Light Touch Means Pain: Fibromyalgia and Tactile Allodynia". Verywell Health. Retrieved Nov 20, 2019.
- Dellwo, Adrienne (Sep 9, 2019). "My Skin Hurts! Allodynia in Fibromyalgia & ME/CFS". Verywell Health. Retrieved Nov 20, 2019.
- Carruthers, BM; van de Sande, MI; De Meirleir, KL; Klimas, NG; Broderick, G; Mitchell, T; Staines, D; Powles, ACP; Speight, N; Vallings, R; Bateman, L; Bell, DS; Carlo-Stella, N; Chia, J; Darragh, A; Gerken, A; Jo, D; Lewis, DP; Light, AR; Light, KC; Marshall-Gradisnik, S; McLaren-Howard, J; Mena, I; Miwa, K; Murovska, M; Stevens, SR (2012), Myalgic encephalomyelitis: Adult & Paediatric: International Consensus Primer for Medical Practitioners (PDF), ISBN 978-0-9739335-3-6
- Baron, Ralf; Tölle, Thomas R.; Freynhagen, Rainer; Brosz, Mathias; Gockel, Ulrich; Koroschetz, Jana; Rehm, Stefanie E. (Jun 1, 2010). "A cross-sectional survey of 3035 patients with fibromyalgia: subgroups of patients with typical comorbidities and sensory symptom profiles". Rheumatology. 49 (6): 1146–1152. doi:10.1093/rheumatology/keq066. ISSN 1462-0324.
The talk page may contain suggestions.