Alternative names[edit | edit source]
Theory[edit | edit source]
Evidence[edit | edit source]
The European Union's Committee on Herbal Medicine recognizes sweet fennl's use for:
- mild, bloating, flatulence and mild spasmodic gastrointestinal symptoms
- minor spasms associated with menstrual periods
- helping cough up mucus when a cough is associated with a cold
Clinicians[edit | edit source]
Risks and side effects[edit | edit source]
- allergic reactions
The European Union Committee on Herbal Medicinal Products states to avoid using it if hypersensitive or allergic to the active substance, any of the Apiaceae (Umbelliferae) family (aniseed, caraway, celery, coriander and dill), or to anethole. Can cause allergic reactions affecting the skin and breathing.
- hormonal effects
The EU Committee on Herbal Medicinal Products states that bitter fennel causes oestrogenic activity, and that "excessive doses of fennel oil" may interfere with prescription medication including hormone therapy, oral contraceptive pills, and hormone replacement therapy..
- possible harmful effects
Studies on nice have shown a link to liver cancer, and other effects.
Costs and availability[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
- drugs.com - natural products (consumer)
- drugs.com - natural products (professional)
- Foeniculum vulgare aetheroleum (bitter fennel) - Committee on Herbal Medicine Products
- Community list entry on foeniculum vulgare miller subsp. vulgare var. vulgare, fructus (B, part A)
See also[edit | edit source]
- Sweet fennel
- List of approved herbal medicines by the EU Committee for Herbal Medicinal Products
- Herbs (category)
References[edit | edit source]
- "Community Herbal Monograph on Foeniculum vulgare miller subsp. vulgare, aetheroleum" (PDF). July 5, 2007. Retrieved July 30, 2020.
- "Fennel Uses, Benefits & Side Effects - Drugs.com Herbal Database". Drugs.com. Retrieved July 30, 2020.
- "Fennel Uses, Benefits & Dosage - Drugs.com Herbal Database". Drugs.com. Retrieved July 30, 2020.
- Committee for Herbal Medicinal Products (January 26, 2018). "COMMISSION DECISION of 26 January 2018 establishing of a list of herbal substances, preparations and combinations thereof for use in traditional herbal medicinal products (notified under document number C(2008) 6933) (Text with EEA relevance) (2008/911/EC) (OJ L 328 6.12.2008, p. 42)". eur-lex.europa.eu. Retrieved July 30, 2020. Unknown parameter