Institute for Neuro Immune Medicine
Notable people[edit | edit source]
- Nancy Klimas, Director of INIM and Chair of Clinical Immunology at Nova Southeastern University
- Irma Rey
- Maria Vera
- Mary Ann Fletcher, Schemel Professor for Neuro Immune Medicine
- Elizabeth Balbin, Clinical Research Director
- Fanny Collado, Research Nurse Coordinator and Health Science Specialist
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
- 2018, Identification of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome-associated DNA methylation patterns
Current research[edit | edit source]
Crowd-sourced ME/CFS Gene Study[edit | edit source]
Beginning in 2015, Dr. Klimas has asked patients to provide their genetic data (either via Ancestry.com or 23andMe) to develop a large-scale study to look for patterns and subgroups in the genetics of ME/CFS patients.
ME/CFS Detecting Myotoxin Subgroup[edit | edit source]
This is a pilot study to look at mycotoxins (toxic metabolites produced by molds/fungi) in patients with ME/CFS. It aims to:
- find out whether the Environmental Exposure Questionnaire (EEQ) can be used to assess for mycotoxin exposure in ME/CFS patients
- assess if the mycotoxin exposure results in more severe symptoms in ME/CFS patients
- future studies will use the blood samples collected to discover if there is a "specific immune or metabolic dysfunction, or epigenetic changes" related to mycotoxin exposure in ME/CFS patients
Clinical Nutrition Profile for ME/CFS[edit | edit source]
The Clinical Nutrition Profile (CNP) project aims to create a profile of people with ME/CFS based on nutritional biomarkers, their dietary intake and other clinically relevant data. By investigating nutritional patterns and deficiencies associated with the ME/CFS it could help "identifying disease targets, improving overall organ system function, allowing body to heal and potentially resetting homeostatic function" to improve patient response to current treatments.
Funding[edit | edit source]
Online presence[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- NSU. "Institute for Neuro-Immune Medicine Clinic". NSU. Retrieved Jan 13, 2019.
- "Mary Ann Fletcher Joins Nova Southeastern University as Schemel Professor for Neuro Immune Medicine | NSU Newsroom". nsunews.nova.edu. Retrieved Jan 13, 2019.
- NSU. "Our Team | Clinical Research | NSU Institute for Neuro Immune Medicine". NSU. Retrieved Jan 13, 2019.
- Nathanson, Lubov; Klimas, Nancy G.; Fletcher, Mary Ann; Beljanski, Vladimir; Rose, Natasha; Sarria, Leonor; Oltra, Elisa; Trivedi, Malav S. (Jul 23, 2018). "Identification of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome-associated DNA methylation patterns". PLOS ONE. 13 (7): e0201066. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0201066. ISSN 1932-6203. PMID 30036399.
- Gene Study video invitation to participate
- "19-20 PFRDG Detecting Mycotoxin Subgroup". Nova Southeastern University. Retrieved Jun 7, 2020.
- "Clinical Nutrition Profile for ME/CFS| Clinical Research". NSU Institute for Neuro Immune Medicine. Retrieved Jun 7, 2020.