Doctor Sarah Myhill is a British doctor running her own specialist M.E. clinic in Knighton, Wales, United Kingdom. Her website is an extensive resource of articles and information based on her treatment of patients, it runs to 920 webpages and has had over six million individual visits.
Dr Myhill's view is that Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is characterized by a cellular metabolic mitochondrial dysfunction and has published several studies. Dr Myhill has treated in excess of 10,000 CFS/ME sufferers over her 30-year career.
Dr Myhill explains her philosophy of medicine here.
Clinical Practice[edit | edit source]
Dr Myhill has an experienced staff supporting her clinical practice. For individuals unable to visit in person staff will coordinate with the individual's primary care provider, will send lab kits for blood draw to be analyzed by Dr Myhill. She produces detailed analysis of blood work, provides recommendations and will discuss cases by telephone. Blood test analysis provides measures of ATP production and mitochondrial efficiency based upon her published research. While other physicians seem to understand her analytical methods, few, if any, are comfortable commenting on their significance. For decades, Dr Myhill has prioritized patient support and treatment results over independent corroboration.
Dr Myhill also supports Miss Voss's Regime for Antiretroviral Treatment of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis: A Regime for Antiretroviral Treatment of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis!
Complaints[edit | edit source]
Dr Myhill has been the subject of complaints to the General Medical Council. A recent Freedom of Information Act request confirmed that Dr Myhill is the most investigated doctor in the history of the GMC. She has been subject to in excess of 30 investigations in the last 15 years. None of the complainants against Dr Myhill were patients. All complaints against her have been dropped and she practises with a full unrestricted medical licence.
Advocacy[edit | edit source]
Dr Myhill is a vocal critic of the PACE trial and biopsychosocial model of ME/CFS. Dr Myhill's GMC complaint regarding a number of PACE trial authors was first rejected without investigation by the GMC, after Dr Myhill appealed the GMC stated they would reconsider.
Dr Myhill is also the creator of the Medical Abuse In ME Sufferers (MAIMES) petition.
Medical Abuse in ME Sufferers[edit | edit source]
Dr Sarah Myhill's Medical Abuse In ME Sufferers (MAIMES) petition calls for a UK public enquiry into the medical abuse and neglect experienced by British patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis (often called chronic fatigue syndrome or CFS/ME in the UK).
Mitochondrial Energy Score test[edit | edit source]
Tomas et al. (2019) attempted to replicate the findings of Myhill, Booth and McClaren-Howard in a study of just ten ME patients, but were unable to distinguish between patients and healthy controls. Myhill responsed highlighting differences in their methods that could have accounted for their results, and stating they incorrectly referred to the test as a diagnostic test for CFS/ME.
- Dr Myhill's response to "Assessing cellular energy dysfunction in CFS/ME using a commercially available laboratory test"
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
- 2009, Chronic fatigue syndrome and mitochondrial dysfunction(Full Text)
- 2012, Mitochondrial dysfunction and the pathophysiology of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)(Full Text)
- 2013, Targeting mitochondrial dysfunction in the treatment of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)(Full Text)
Book[edit | edit source]
- 2014, updated 2018 - Diagnosis and Treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: It's Mitochondria, Not Hypochondria by Sarah Myhill. Edited by, and with a chapter by Craig Robinson.
Talks and interviews[edit | edit source]
(More talks and interviews can be found on YouTube playlist for Dr Myhill)
- 2007, Speaker at the 2nd Invest in ME International ME Conference on Treatments and Diagnosis – A GP’s Perspective - (Video)
- 2015, Biocare Summer 2015 Conference
- 2016, OMEGA AGM Seminar 2016
- 2018, Dr. Myhill Calls For The GMC To Investigate The PACE Trial Authors
- Mar 04, 2019 - Interviewed on The ME Show by Gary Burgess on her understanding and experience of treating people with ME and CFS, as well as her own ongoing battles with the General Medical Council - (Episode Link)
Online presence[edit | edit source]
- Support Dr Sarah Myhill public Facebook group
- Support for followers of Dr Myhill's protocol closed Facebook group
- Supporters of Dr Sarah Myhill Facebook page
- YouTube playlist
- Address: Upper Weston, Knighton LD7 1SL, Wales, United Kingdom (Coordinates: )
Learn more[edit | edit source]
- 2012, "Booth, Myhill, McLaren-Howard Comment on ME/CFS Mitochondrial Dysfunction Paper" by Norman E. Booth, Sarah Myhill, John McLaren-Howard for ProHealth
- MAIMES petition - Medical Abuse of ME Sufferers
- CFS Checklist - start off and check your treatment regime here
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Myhill, S; Booth, NE; McLaren-Howard, J (2013). "Targeting mitochondrial dysfunction in the treatment of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) - a clinical audit". International Journal of Clinical Experimental Medicine. 6 (1): 1–15. PMC . PMID 23236553.
- Booth, NE; Myhill, S; McLaren-Howard, J (Jun 15, 2012). "Mitochondrial dysfunction and the pathophysiology of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)". International Journal of Clinical Experimental Medicine. 5 (3): 208–220. PMID 22837795.
- Myhill, S; Booth, NE; McLaren-Howard, J (Jan 15, 2009). "Chronic fatigue syndrome and mitochondrial dysfunction". International Journal of Clinical Experimental Medicine. 2 (1): 1–16. PMID 19436827.
- "CFS - The Central Cause: Mitochondrial Failure - DoctorMyhill". drmyhill.co.uk. Retrieved Feb 20, 2019.
- Voss, Katharina (Jun 9, 2018). "ME versus CFS: #Arztanfragen - Mein Therapieregime für die antiretrovirale Behandlung bei Myalgischer Enzephalomyelitis". ME versus CFS. Retrieved Feb 20, 2019.
- "A Regime for Antiretroviral Treatment of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis - DoctorMyhill". www.drmyhill.co.uk. Retrieved Feb 20, 2019.
- "Dr. Myhill on BBC News" (video). BBC news. Apr 29, 2010.
- Myhill, Sarah (Feb 10, 2019). "Medical Abuse In ME Sufferers (MAIMES)".
- Myhill, Sarah (Aug 2019). "Response to the paper 'Assessing cellular energy dysfunction in CFS/ME using a commercially available laboratory test' by Cara Tomas et al". www.drmyhill.co.uk. Retrieved Aug 16, 2019.
- Invest in ME Research (2007). "2nd International ME Conference Agenda - IIMEC2". Invest in ME Research. Retrieved Feb 20, 2019.
- Episode Six - Dr Sarah Myhill - The ME Show, retrieved Aug 13, 2019