A chronic sore throat is a commonly reported symptom in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). It forms part of a range of flu-like symptoms that are very common in ME/CFS patients.
Presentation[edit | edit source]
Sore throats can be particularly common during the initial onset of the illness, which often presents with flu-like symptoms. A sore throat usually appears most commonly in the morning upon waking, or during post-exertional malaise. Some patients see a sore throat as a warning sign to reduce their activity.
A bacterial or viral infection is rarely found.
Prevalence[edit | edit source]
- 1995, Katrina Berne, PhD, reported a prevalence of 50-90% for chronic sore throat in ME/CFS.
- 2001, In a Belgian study, 74.1% of patients meeting the Fukuda criteria and 84.1% of patients meeting the Holmes criteria, in a cohort of 2073 CFS patients, reported sore throat.
Symptom recognition[edit | edit source]
- Features in the Fukuda criteria, Canadian Consensus Criteria, International Consensus Criteria
- In the Canadian Consensus Criteria, recurrent sore throat is an optional criteria for diagnosis, under the section Immune Manifestations.
- In the Fukuda criteria, the symptom of sore throat can be used to help form a diagnosis.
- In the Holmes criteria, a sore throat is an optional criteria for diagnosis, under the section Minor Symptom Criteria.
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
Possible causes[edit | edit source]
Potential treatments[edit | edit source]
- Herbal teas
- Hot lemon and honey
- Throat spray or lozenges
See also[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Nisenbaum, R; Reyes, M; Unger, ER; Reeves, W (Feb 2004), "Factor analysis of symptoms among subjects with unexplained chronic fatigue: what can we learn about chronic fatigue syndrome?", J Psychosom Res., 56 (2): 171-8, doi:10.1016/S0022-3999(03)00039-4, PMID 15016574
- Verrillo - Sore throat
- Berne, Katrina (Dec 1, 1995), Running on Empty: The Complete Guide to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFIDS), 2nd ed., Hunter House, p. 58, ISBN 978-0897931915
- De Becker, Pascale; McGregor, Neil; De Meirleir, Kenny (December 2001). "A definition‐based analysis of symptoms in a large cohort of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome". Journal of Internal Medicine. 250 (3): 234–240. doi:10.1046/j.1365-2796.2001.00890.x.
- A Clinical Case Definition and Guidelines for Medical Practitioners: An Overview of the Canadian Consensus Document Pg 8. 2005.
- The CDC (Fukuda 1994) Definition for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- The 1988 Holmes Definition for CFS